Friday, January 28, 2011

Cultural ''Literacy''

To be honest, the definition of ''cultural literacy'' is still eluding me. For class I watched 3 videos, read a few documents, and checked out a few different websites to attempt to clarify this definition. To me, it seems this literacy, is too expansive to limit its factors to the constraints of literature or even language. To be culturally literate is to have understanding of the layers of a society's beliefs of life, family, identity, music, religion, love, and so much more. I would say no one could fully understand me simply by the comprehension of my personal idioms and cultural references, so I have no intention of claiming to be culturally literate of another person's lifestyle until I have found a kind of deeper understanding.
I looked at Geerte-Hofestede's indices of Spain, that claimed to explain the culture through a graph of their ''cultural differences'' and personally I didn't find it applicable to the people of Spain. Particularly, here in a country that has so many layers of history, the Spaniards have had to change and adapt constantly and therefore have layers of adaptation buried in their ''culture''.  I don't believe that by graphing such factors as their ''individualism'' level and ''masculinity'' level could ever aide me in becoming more literate of their ever-changing culture.
By being here and experiencing their food, language, religion, recreation, and else in between is the only way one could ever attempt to become literate with another's culture. I don't think that after 4 months I will have become fully culturally literate but hopefully I'll have a closer understanding of the people here and perhaps I'll have a less murky definiton of what it means to be ''culturally literate''.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your suspicions that you will not be culturally literate (fully) after 4 months. Nor, IMHO, after 40 years - since culture is continually growing, moving, evolving, morphing, and continually adding what you noted as "so many layers." Noted anthropologist Arjun Apapdurai calls for us to see culture as a "flow" and adopt a "process" approach to cultural literacy. So, you may not feel you are completely cultural literate - so focus on actively "becoming" culturally literate through your critical engagement!

    ReplyDelete