Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Setting Foot

So it's day numero 21 here in Barcelona and I'm finally starting to feel like I'm not just a visitor anymore. Yesterday I took the metro around the city by myself AND found exactly the place I was looking for- a small feat you might think but for me it was a huge step. I'm steadily gaining confidence in the city and subsequently in myself here in Spain. Someone asked for directions while on the metro and I amazingly knew exactly how to guide them. It's these small accomplishments that make me feel as if Barcelona is beginning to welcome me in as one of its own and I'm welcoming Barca as a home. It's as if we've put aside our differences and finally begun to appreciate one another- or maybe it's just that I've begun to find the language of Barcelona in its quaint corners and winding crevaces that allows me to understand its true beauty more deeply. Of course when I say ''language'' I am not referring to Catalan or Spanish- improving my Spanglish is a feat that will take much longer than 21 days to conquer.

No comments:

Post a Comment